Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Welcome to Deb PI

Deb PI is an idea I had this Spring when I was floundering on what I was going to do with my professional life.

I started looking for a job in January. I actually came North to Rhode Island to sequester myself in my room, determined that I would find a profession that I would like to work in.

My friends laughed at me because I chose the wors't time in our lifetimes to find any job, let alone one that I liked. I figured I was smart, savy and had lots of skills that any company couldn't live without.

I was wrong.

I spent weeks in front of the computer looking for jobs online. I called everyone I know to ask them for help with finding a job. Nothing worked.

I changed course and decided that I didn't have the skills for the job I wanted so I had to find a way to get those skills and then get the job. I hunted through jobs online to just decide what I might want to do and then I was on a government job site and saw many different types of investigator jobs. When I researched what credentials I would need to apply, I decided I needed to take a new road to get there.

I looked online for a school to get the PI credentials and found BU. I signed up immediately only to find out shortly thereafter that the course was delayed until July because of lack of interest.

I started looking into government jobs that anyone could get and were at least related to private investigation. I found jobs available with the TSA (transportation security) at the logan airport. It is a long process to apply for that job but I went for it. I went through all the steps to apply but when I was finished, there were no spots available. I am in what they call a "waiting pool" for that job.
While interviewing for the TSA job, I found out that once you have a job with the TSA you can move within the government job base with ease. This combination seemed to be perfect for me.

Now I am waiting for a job to open up Logan International and finishing my Private Investigation course at BU. The whole experience has been uplifting.

I have even met a Professional Investigator who only does criminal cases and am getting a little insite from him.

1 comment:

  1. Deb -- Thanks so much for sharing your story (and your bookmarks). I love the snap shot of you and the Bug. If you reference the threads you'll see that Netnewswire is the ticket for MAC users wanting to set up an RSS reader. More options?http://email.about.com/od/rssreadersmac/tp/top_rss_mac.htm

    ReplyDelete